Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Nonfiction: North Amreican Indian Sign Language


Liptak, K. (1990). North American Indian Sign Language. New York & Toronto: Scholastic Inc.

It is difficult to cover a subject as physically and visually based as that of sign language in a printed medium. This book does well to balance with a pictorial representation, however small, beside each described action and a very colorful, graphic oriented introduction the book can maintain its appeal. Given the fluctuation of acceptable terminology I found the term North American Indian to be a little outdated. As can be noted by the cover the words North American are in a different font colour, seeming to indicate that this might be one book from a series of sign languages from South American, or South Asian "Indians"...however, I have yet to find any of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment