Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Native Folktale: How the Robin got Its Red Breast



Craigan, C. (Illus.) (1997). How the Robin Got Its Red Breast: A Legend of the Schelt People. Gibsons, BC: Nightwood Editions.

This folktale is a beautiful display of art; not a book, but the images of imagination from an oral tradition. The story of the Robin is retold through small paragraphs of text that float within the sublime illustrations of Charlie Craigan, allowing the action of the robin to dance through the pages. Is this is just one tale of many; a tale of one insignificant little bird? Or is this a subtle reminder of the debt of gratitude we should feel for having so many interesting things in the world? The message in this story is subtle, yet clear and suitible for children 5 years old to to 50; Respect the world that has made and cared for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment