Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Audio (CD): The Dino 5 - Baby Loves Hip-Hop


The Dino 5. (2008). [recorded by Prince Paul] Baby Loves Hip Hop Presents the Dino-5 [CD]. New York: Baby Loves Hip-Hop.

Unlike the CD of lullabized Nirvana songs I LOVE this disc! I love this CD because the music is good! It sounds like adult hip-hop. After my first listen through I already had a few chorus lines stuck in my head. This is because the five members of the group come from internationally renowned hip-hop groups. This means that as baby grows into a child and teenager they have sources for intelligent, adult music. The format of the CD is interesting. The tracks alternate between a mother reading to her son at bedtime and the musical tracks that rap out the narrative of that story. This format emphasizes the need for parents to engage in literature with their children and provides them with a model of how to do so. For both quality and content this is one of the best resources I have found.

No comments:

Post a Comment