Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Poetry: You Read to Me, I'll Read to You




Hoberman, M. A. (2001). You Read to Me, I'll Read to You. New York: Megan Tingley Books & Little Brown.

The best way to create reading habits is to start early and to participate with your child. As well, the best way to spur phonological development and form superior reading and writing skills is through poetry. Mary Ann Hoberman's book is a great tool for both of these necessities, plus it has another powerful attribute that is much sought after; this is a book that boys will enjoy! In addition to the cover shot I have included the first poem/story of the book because I want to highlight the illustrations. Clearly these are geared towards boys, and interestingly enough the second story is about those two mean cats being picked on by dogs, so don't worry about moral shortcomings in the book. Most of the stories are gender neutral, but it is good to start in a comfort zone for boys, who are traditionally the ones most averse to reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment