Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Picture Book: Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!





Willems, M. (2003). Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! New York: Hyperion.

Mo Willems series about the escapades of Pigeon is sure to be a hit with every young child and this book in particular is a great way to kick off pleasure reading for youngsters. I once had a preschool class (ages 3-5 year old) read this book every day and each day draw a page from it. The ultimate goal was to have each child create their own copy of the book. This exercise took about a month and at the end my kids were still enthusiastic to read both the published version and their own copy! This is a great way for kids to get involved in reading and a great way for adults to help introduce children to the rules of society without boring them to tears! The story is simple, but engaging, the drawings are basic, but hilarious. There is nothing bad to be said about this book, everyone should read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment