Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Historical Fiction: Terror in the Harbour (Penelope)


McKay, S.E. (2001). Terror in the Harbour: Penelope. Toronto : Penguin Books.

To be honest I picked this book because it satisfied my criteria for:
a) Historical fiction
b) Canadian
c) For girls
I had not picked this book because it appealed to me itself. With this in mind I am happy to say that it was an absorbing read. The story quickly hooked me and the descriptions took me to Halifax in 1917 with ease. Whether other books in the Our Canadian Girl series, or even if the three other books in Penelope's series would interest boys is uncertain, but this one definitely did. This is due to the narrative covering several of the categories Jon Scieszka laid down on his website Guys Read. There is at least one explosion (the biggest man made one EVER), war, blood, swearing, and the knocking over of a chamber pot. What else could a guy ask for in a book marketed as written for girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment