Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Friday, April 2, 2010

TV Show: Spongebob Square Pants


Hillenburg. S. (Creator). (1999). SpongeBob SquarePants [Television series]. United states of America: Nickelodeon

I'm a little late on the whole SpongeBob phenomenon, but was glad to have a reason to investigate. The over the top goofiness of the show had been a bit of a hurdle to get over, but after a couple of episodes I became accustomed to SpongeBob's shrill voice and actually started enjoying myself. I was a little shocked at the sadistic undertones that pop up, especially in the interactions between SpongeBob and his tightly wound neighbour Squidward. Most of the humour in the show can be classified under immature cartoon sledge hammer humour and there is a lot of reliance on gags and one-liners. I do enjoy the mix of innocence and creepiness this show encompasses (SpongeBob is an “innocent,” but actually looks quite freakish). There’s not a lot to be learned from SpongeBob beyond increasing ones marine vocabulary, but the zaniness of the show is a good model for kids helping them think outside the box.

No comments:

Post a Comment