Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Series Fiction: A Hero's Guide to Deadly Dragons


Cowell, C. (2008). A Hero’s Guide to Deadly Dragons. London: Hatchet Children’s Books.

Each novel contains several small adventures and while they do progress in a chronological fashion I am happy to say I wasn’t hindered by skipping ahead to the sixth of Cowell’s eight books, a good thing to keep in mind given the availability of these books in the library as the movies come out. One facet of this series that has impressed me is the uniqueness of the published product. It is of unique value that on any given page there can be up to three distinct font settings, depending on the intensity of the description, or when someone is speaking Dragonese. I really liked how Cowell presented the issues of literacy and cognition in this book. Viking culture forbids fastidious thinking and reading, thus compelling the reader to do so via reverse psychology, and that all the books are guarded in a dark, creepy castle by the Hairy Scary Librarian makes any library seem a haven in comparison.

No comments:

Post a Comment