Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Series Fiction: How to be a Pirate


Cowell, C. (2004). How to be a Pirate. London: Hachette Children’s Books.

This is the second book in Cowell’s series that follows the exploits of the meek, but potentially mighty Hiccup Horredndous Haddock III. In this volume Hiccup not only solidifies his claim as heir to the ruling family of Vikings, but also overcomes his horrendous (as in pathetic and wholly unviking) sword fighting skills by discovering that he is actually left-handed… one more weird trait from an already pretty weird kid. What I really liked about this volume was that it seems that tense moments often happen at the end of a page, forcing the reader to continue another page. I also noticed that the accompanying illustrations were larger and appeared more frequently at the start of the novel than at the end, dissipating only after my interest in the story had been cemented. Cowell writes with the flair of Roald Dahl and after a child had finished with Hiccup’s adventures I would send them directly to Dahl.

No comments:

Post a Comment