Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

9 (2009)

Acker, S. (director). (2009). 9. (Motion picture). United States of America: Focus Features

I just watched a CGI movie called "9." The main character is one several burlap covered mechanical dolls, their names respective to their numbers which are painted on their bodies. They live in a post apocalyptic world where AI machines have destroyed humanity... or at least that what it seems like at first.
This movie has atmosphere! The graphics are very well done and are both magical and creepy. The Brain, the mastermind AI machine that began the war on humans is particularly scary. Also several characters die. There's hope at the end, but it is a dark tunnel traveled to get there. Probably not suitable for kids younger than 10... unless you want to stay up hugging them all night.
BUT,
It's not THAT scary and there is a philosophical side to the story that is very thought provoking. The purpose of origin for each burlap doll I found rather moving. My favourite part was the curiosity and independence expressed by the main character, 9. It might be peculiar to accept a computer animation of a burlap covered mechanical doll as a role model, but I don't care, that's how easy it was to relate. There’s tons of appropriate behaviour modeling in this movie that is particularly relevant for people in their tweens, people who are transitioning from having everything dictated to them to having to make their own decisions:

9: Why do you listen to 1?
5: A group must have a leader.
9: But what if he's wrong?

Boo-ya! Critical, independent thought, the importance of which cannot be overemphasized enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment