Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Picture Book: That's Dangerous



Pittau, F. & Gervais, B. (2004). That's Dangerous. New York: Black Dog & Leventhal Pub. Inc.

While I classified this book as a picture book I feel it should be stressed that this is NOT for toddlers (c'mon folks be reasonable not reactionary). This book serves a very useful purpose. It is a great tool for introducing children to information literacy. The book is visually simple in text and illustration, the stories are absurd, and it is very apparent that there is a disconnect between the message of the text, the message of the illustrations, and the potential audience for the item. For example the text says that it is dangerous to play inside the dryer, but the illustrations clearly show enjoyment in this circumstance. The pictures seem made for toddlers, but is this book really intended to be a teaching tool for them? Life IS dangerous, and that is why teaching children to think critically about appearances and content is necessary, and this book will make that experience easy and enjoyable for all.

No comments:

Post a Comment