Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Audio (CD): Rockabye Baby - Nirvana


(2006). Lullaby Renditions of Nirvana [CD]. Rockabye Baby Music. (October 10, 2006)

When I first saw this CD I was a leery as to how the music and lyrics of Nirvana could be transformed into a consumable format for babies. After listening to it I admit I was disappointed. My initial concern over the lyrics was moot as they were completely removed. No need to worry about little Sally, or little Billy, asking what Lithium is. In fact, I barely even recognized the soft xylophone sounds as the chord structures from the original works, but then again I almost completely tone deaf. Since the CD is intended for infants in the cradle I feel that any CD of xylophone music would be just as effective from a parenting point of view. This line of adult rock lullabies seems more a marketing ploy to sucker in hip, young parents, rather than a way to foster a love of rock’n’roll in ones infant.

No comments:

Post a Comment