Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Classic Fiction: Tom's Midnight Garden


Pearce, P. (1958).Tom's Midnight Garden. London: Penguins Classics.

I never read this book as a child, but as I read it now in adulthood I am overwhelmed with nostalgia. There is a magical quality woven into Pearce's book and I am glad to be given a pass back into the feeling of my youth. While I very much enjoyed this book for two reasons I feel that it should be recommended only to an advanced and eager reader. Firstly, the book is fairly long and written in antiquated British English. Secondly, it takes a bit of time for the action to really grasp the reader. However, just because Tom's best companion turns out to be a little girl/woman and there is no aggressive or fantastical action in the narrative (except a clock that can turn back time) doesn’t mean that all boys will turn away from the story. In a world that is increasingly busy the possibility for escape may become increasingly enticing.

No comments:

Post a Comment