Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Magazine: ChickaDEE


Aaron. (2009, September). chickaDEE.

I was curious to see how much current format of chickaDEE compared to the one I was familiar with growing up. I am happy to say that the magazine has kept its appeal and was an interesting, albeit much faster read. The issue I looked at was primarily centered on environmental themes there were craft projects with leaves, cut-outs for placing over switch plates that remind to save energy, and an article by David Suzuki's about his dream green home. There seems to be a much heavier emphasis on illustrations and cartooning rather than the traditional photographic content, but all the kids’ magazines I looked at, excluding the celebrity/fashion magazines, seemed to be following this trend. Overall it did seem that there would be enough interesting pieces to keep a child busy for a month until the new issue arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment