Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Nonfiction: Hoaxes


Herbst, J. (2005). Hoaxes. Minneapolis: Lerner Publications Co.

Judith Herbst's book, Hoaxes is a great introduction to the subject of weird things. She does a good job of discussing some of history's major hoaxes, without splitting hairs over the religious or political angles. She touches on crop circles, fairies, extra-terrestrial life, and uncontacted tribes. The book is written in a conversational tone that sounds close to gossip, a great medium for talking about hoaxes! There are lots of illustrations and old grainy photos that add authenticity and appeal to each story. In a world where kids are often told what to do all day long it can be a relief for them to find out that:
a) Adults be wrong!
b) Adults can fall for something so silly even a kid wouldn't believe it!
There’s not a lot of depth in the book and if a child was interested my next recommendation would be the World of the Unknown series of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment