Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Picture Book: The Three Pigs


Weisner, D. (2001). The Three Pigs. New York: Houghton Mifflin.

To slowly lose the imaginative powers of childhood as we age is one of the saddest trends of growing up. However, what is lost is not always gone forever. David Weisner's book is as good for adults as it is for budding minds. In his fracturing of the three little pigs classic Weisner has the wolf blow the pigs right out of the story into a limbo-esque white space. Here all the pages of all the children's book stand in cue, waiting to be read. The style of illustration changes from cartoony when the pigs are inside the pages to a more realistic portrayal when they are gallivanting outside the delineated pages. It is no wonder that this book won a Caldecott as the story can be perfectly understood independent of the text which is quite sparse to begin with. A great book for kids to stuff their snouts into!

No comments:

Post a Comment