Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Picture Book: They Were Strong and Good


Lawson, R. (1940). They Were Strong and Good. New York: Viking Press.

This book written and illustrated by Robert Lawson certainly merits the Caldecott award it received as the black and white full page prints are impeccably intricate in detail, but still clean and easy to assimilate. Unfortunately, the racism of the narrative shows up in several of the prints and the story itself is very idealized. Natives are described as chronic beggars, black people, who are clearly slaves, are shown in many pictures, but never referred to in the text, and one of the characters is cast in a positive light for his brave support of the confederates during America's Civil war. This book merits a picture walk for sure, but if one is going to read the text with a child I highly recommend accompanying this book with Martin's Big Words, so that both sides of America's civil rights history are provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment