Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Biography: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart


Venezia, M. (1995). Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. Chicago: Children' Press.

I chose to include this particular biography because it involves both enormous childhood talent and obsessive parental control. Every kid should have a role model like Mozart to remind them that being a child doesn't restrict one from being the best in the world at something, and these days parental control has risen to Star Wars defence status (just watch the documentary Living Dolls if you doubt my statement).
Venezia's variety of illustrations is also a notable feature of the book. These range from personally drawn cartoons that anachronistically bridge the gaps between the 16th C. and modernity, in one cartoon Mozart is pictured wearing a powdered wig asking his father for some roller blades. These are contrasted by traditional oil portraits of Mozart, and some photos of Mozart's opera's being performed in real life.
The book is textually heavy and so would be better for kids 6-10, also a glossary in the back would be beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment