Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

DVD: Sleeping Beauty


Geronimi, C. (director). (1959). Sleeping Beauty. (Motion picture). United States of America: Walt Disney Productions.

It was very interesting to watch this as an adult in 2010. Disney idealism is thick throughout. There is the ridiculous proportions of the characters bodies, the fated ideal lover cliché, and the contrast between animation styles, ex. Prince Philip (ideally handsome) versus his horse Sampson (who shares an odd similarity to Mr. Horse from Ren & Stimpy). This is a movie for really young kids, and definitely not recommended as a strict diet. It is nice to cheer good triumphing over evil, but everything is extremely simplified in this movie. It is good to reinforce a child's belief in acting amiably and responsibly, but older kids may need reasons to act this way instead of just mimicking those who do so. Also, the more a child sees these images the more they accept them as the norm. No one has a waist the size of their wrists and girls shouldn’t be kept in a cabin in the woods, deprived of experience and education!

No comments:

Post a Comment