Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Levelled Reader: Snack Time, Tyrannosaurous Rex!


Bentley, D. (2004). Snack Time, Tyrannosaurus Rex! (Carr, K. Illus.) Norwalk, CT: Trudy Corporation.

This is a level one reader about a female Tyrannosaurus Rex’s daily routine to get food. The book is a good size for a “hopper” (preschool to grade 1, as defined by the publisher’s criteria). It is large enough to appear big to a 5 year old and the pages while thin, are sturdy. the book is comprised of alternating full page pictures, detailed computer generated graphics, and large print text, usually no more than two sentences per page, and size twenty-six font. After the story there is a fact page and a glossary of the difficult dinosaur names. I would like to see how a preschooler handled pronouncing “Quetzalcoatlus” the first time they saw it, as it was a tongue twister for myself. However, pronouncing big words is one thing young readers take pride in, so this is a good choice I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment