Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Levelled Reader: Beyond the Dinosaurs: Monsters of the Sea and Air


Brown, C. L. (2007). Beyond the Dinosaurs: Monsters of the Sea and Air. (Wilson, P.Illus.). New York: Harper Collins.

This is a level two reader about the prehistoric creatures of the water and air. Whereas the level one reader dealt with only five dinosaurs this next level deals with eleven. The illustrations in this book are done by hand and span both pages when the book is open. The text is strategically placed around the dinosaurs in the pictures so that image and text become a single experience. There is more fine detail in these illustrations and there is double the number of sentences per page as the previous level, the font is smaller and each dinosaurs name is now accompanied by a syllabic breakdown of pronunciation. The number of pages is comparable to the previous level, but there are more words.

No comments:

Post a Comment