Explosion Statement

To develop a feel for what children's literature is it is essential to dive into the pages. As my interest in childhood literacy grows the more I keep hearing about how guys can't read, or don't like to read, or don't like to admit they read. I was shocked. I'm a guy...and I LOVE to read. Obviously I needed to investigate some interesting books and resources for when I encounter reluctant readers. However, I did not want to neglect the population of children who aren't male, reluctant readers. So, I not only read books for boys, I read books for girls, books for minorities, some old books, lots of new books, books that looked good, and books that looked bad.

It is a collection in its infancy, but it is a good sample of the massive variety of material that is out there just waiting to teach, inspire and entertain. The only time I am a reluctant reader is when i have to stop.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Website: Starfall


Starfall Education. (2010). Learn to Read with Phonics. Retrieved from http://www.starfall.com/


I found the Starfall website by perusing links in the Halifax Public Libraries kids section. The website is divided into four levels; ABC’s, Learn to Read, It’s Fun to Read, and I’m Reading. The most advanced level, I’m Reading, is a good match for the literacy level of a struggling 9 year old, but I’m not sure their attention would be held by the juvenile layout and simple, albeit sometimes amusing, animations. I was reading a story in the I’m Reading section and was disappointed to be asked to complete a math question between the pages of the story. What’s 3 + 4? Is it 6, 7, or 8? This is stuff for kindergartners. A literacy deficiency does not denote a math deficiency and kids who have low self-esteem about reading don’t need to be condescended to about their numbers too. This is an excellent site, but I’d keep it to kids who are five years old or younger.

1 comment:

  1. Hey thanks for the comment Max! I was fortunate to grow up in a house without a television, reluctance to reading left me with few other options, but I've never known an author. I've subscribed to your RSS feed, and I look forward to reading your new book when it comes out! Keep well.

    ReplyDelete